Tuesday, April 6, 2010

BBQ Beef and Cornbread Casserole (I swear it's better than it looks)

Cimarron is an old-time western, so I thought I would make Chili and Cornbread to fit the western theme.  I may, however, have gotten more than I bargained for.

BBQ Beef Casserole
You'll Need:
2 small jalapeños, seeded and diced
1/2 large onion, diced
1 (15.25 ounces) can sweet corn, drained
1 (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, partially drained
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 box corn bread mix and corresponding ingredients
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican flavored cheese

  1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
  2. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain excess oil. 
  3. Add peppers, onion, corn and tomatoes. Cook until veggies are soft (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, mix the corn bread according to the package directions.  Set aside to let rise for 3 to 4 minutes.
  4. Remove the meat mixture from the heat and mix in BBQ sauce and cheese. Pour into a 9×9 pan (or 13×9 if doubling the recipe). Spread the cornbread mixture evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown and passes the toothpick test
 


So it seems easy enough.  And actually it was.  I added pinto beans as well with the vegetables to give it more of a chili feel.  There was only one slight problem...I think the dish I used was too small.  Or maybe I made too much cornbread?

In any event, just make sure that whatever you do you don't let the cornbread spill over the sides.  It still tasted good so I guess that's all that matters.  It wasn't the easiest to store, so I recommend making this for guests on a cold, rainy day.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment