1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg yolk
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pilsner beer, or other light beer
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, coarsely grated (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Lightly beat yolk in a medium heatproof bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in a small heavy saucepan over moderately low heat.
- Add flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute.
- Add beer and milk, whisking constantly, then whisk in mustard and pepper. Bring to a simmer, whisking, and cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually add cheese and cook, whisking, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk into beaten yolk until combined.
- Serve hot, with bread and/or vegetables.
Keep in mind the one thing that gives this recipe its flavor: the beer. Because I didn't have a wide variety of beers available, I used Magic Hat. That beer has a distinct, smoky flavor, and therefore so did the rarebit. Be very conscious of which beer you select because that will ultimately determine the flavor. Other than that, this cheesy goodness is easy to make with ingredients that I already had in my kitchen.